Sunday, February 1, 2004

February 2004

February 28, 2004
DIY Education in the Streets
I have had the privilege recently of meeting with some students from Swarthmore College as well as Temple. We are organizing an amazing event about to take place in the city of brotherly love, Philadelphia. The T.A.Z. is in solidarity with the Books Not Bombs National Day of Action. Participating with this remarkable team of students has been a phenomenal learning experience for me. I have participated in rally’s before, but this planning committee has been exceptionally well thought-out. There is still a lot more work to do and I'm really looking forward to the event. I actually want to learn some of the skills we are offering that day (see below). Check out the flyer, created by my talented friends at why-war. Feel free to join us that day, and if you unable, think about taking an active role in your community too alter this regime.

More Info on the event

Tired of the same old protests? Listened to boring speakers until your ears bleed? Wanna learn something you can really use?

TEMPORARY AUTONOMOUS ZONE -T.A.Z.(get some real education!)
Thursday, March 4th, 4:00 pm
15th & Market Streets, Center City Philadelphia
with a free concert, including Evan Greer and others, and an open mic!

What is a Temporary Autonomous Zone?

T.A.Z. is a love poem scrawled on the sterilized and unconscious wall of a hospital. It is a 4 a.m. Shakespeare reading with your cellmates in Miami. It is a Palestinian youth tearing down a part of the Wall with his bare hands. It is militantly nonviolent and terroristically creative. Our T.A.Z. will be a place without rules or regulations, without teachers and students, without bosses and employees. We will manifest our vision of how the world could be a better place, and how human interactions could be based on love and solidarity rather than exploitation and greed.

* fix your bike * play the banjo * basic protest medical * puppet making * alternative u.s. history * make your own zine * homemade tofu * make a really big banner * sing wobbly songs * HIV prevention * pirate radio stations * AND MUCH MORE! (what will you bring?)


BRING: skills to share, instruments, puppets, banners, zines, paint, back rubs, pets, your younger siblings, poetry, your friends

LEAVE: your laws, your cops, your money (cuz it's all free), and your prejudice

For more information or to get involved with planning this event, contact:
youthpawr[-at-]riseup.net or call 215.222.4711

Visit here for the latest updates.


"A-Space" on Baltimore Ave. was the location of our first meeting.


Posted by Liz at 11:00 PM | Feedback (5)
Paper Doll.com
Here is a cute little fashion site. Cute tee's that inspire. Pretty colors and graphics, always a plus for Spring. Check it out and buy something you might not ordinarily wear.

Posted by Liz at 09:59 PM | Feedback (3)
February 27, 2004
Anarchy in America
Another mayor (upstate New York) is allowing gay marriage, along with San Francisco. Some of the right wing is suggesting this is lawlessness and anarchy. I say it's about time. This is America and generally speaking, a religious country, but so much needs to be changed. There is no turning back now. Annul those marriages, it won't matter. Institutions must advance with the times. Wake up friends, no social security for us? Maybe we so called "straight" people need to get some anarchy going ourselves. And yes, I'm completely serious.




Posted by Liz at 08:58 PM | Feedback (6)
February 26, 2004
The Dakota
When I was young and first saw, Rosemary's Baby, I fell in love with the NYC apartment where the Polanski film takes place. Years later, I would hear the location was the Dakota apartment house on the Upper West side. I have been reading a terrific book called Life at the Dakota: New York's Most Unusual Address. This wonderfully historical building was erected in 1884, on the wrong side of town. At a time when social morality was everything, an apartment house was considered beneath the standards of proper society. In spite of this, the building was filled to capacity the first day it opened to residents.


Mysterious and Gothic


This astonishing house looked out over Central Park, which was chicken coups and poor families. Both the affluent and meager used the lake as a skating rink in the Winter. Many of the original tenets lived out their final days there, as did their offspring. Famous tenets include, Lauren Bacall, Boris Karloff, Roberta Flack, it was the place where John Lennon was murdered in cold blood. I always thought it was inconceivable that Yoko continued to raise Sean there after John’s death, but after reading this book, I can appreciate why. It truly is home to those auspicious enough to live there. Some people have been known to compete with friends over the number of apartments they have visited. I would love to be invited inside one day. It has so much character, like a person you want to know better. In the meantime, maybe I will just stop by, snap some photos and say hello to the doorman.



The Dakota today


Posted by Liz at 02:31 AM | Feedback (2)
February 24, 2004
Boy I love this show


Cheaters - I have been watching an early one where Tommy takes a girl to catch her cheatin’ man and find him getting his jollies sitting in his car with a shemale checking his zipper works…and nodding that nod that says the meat is sweet - until his soon-to-be ex leaps on them all turning the scene into a drive-in version of Gotterdammerung


Car crash tv at it’s best – exercise your right to be informed! – watch Cheaters!

….encouraging the renewal of temperance and virtue…Who could not love that! I am sure you New York urban beau monde still appreciate this freak show masking as a modern morality tale. The language they use is poetry and the people they use deserve it!

Posted by Tony at 04:38 PM | Feedback (4)
Happy Birthday Nicole
I hope you have a wonderful day. I appreciate all the help and support you have so freely given me during the past year. You have been right there to lend assistance. Thanks for always contributing and bringing the laughs. I'm reminded of that line,
"We've shared many smiles and many tears, but nothing beats the laughter."
Being around you is like taking medicine when I'm are sick. A dose of you, and I just feel so much better! Enough! Now get cracking on our Jamaica trip!


She looks so innocent, doesn't she? Hehe


Posted by Liz at 12:54 AM | Feedback (8)
February 23, 2004
Sex and the City- Spoiler
Don't read this if you don't want to know how the series ends.



Carrie & Big. What did you expect?

I knew this was going to happen. Carrie would leave Paris and return to New York. New York is a million times better than Paris. Paris is a nice place to visit, and some Americans move there, but I can not relate. New York is just the best, bar none. So Big's name is John. Did you catch that?

This show was always my favorite because it was always so well written. Case in point was the story line where Steve's mother, has Alzheimer’s symptoms, and Miranda accepts her into their home. I have a friend right now, whose mother has memory lose. My mother took her mother-in -law in. It was a very well written, unexpected, truthful sub plot.

Smith and Samantha confirm their love without ever once mentioning the "M" word. That word we woman supposedly live to hear. Believe it or not, there wasn't even mention of a ring!! Shocking isn't it?

Charlotte and Harry, end up getting a little girl from China, after having one disappointment of a young mother who changes her mind. It was really sweet. They even showed a picture of a beautiful little baby to the audience.

The best part was the ending. Carrie reiterates what the series has been about all along. The best relationship you can be in, is the one you have with yourself.


Posted by Liz at 10:53 PM | Feedback (4)
February 22, 2004
Lichtenstein at the Hayward

WHAM! - 1963
The Hayward gallery in London ( I am sure you would have gone there Liz – if Harrods was not selling those ‘devine’ hairbrushes…) is currently putting on a Roy Lichtenstein exhibition and I was looking at WHAM! And thinking this is SO 60’s – it could never been mistaken for any other decade and that I think is unusual for great art.

Perhaps it’s the uniqueness of this Pop art that you can pin it to an exact date because of the reference Lichtenstein used for his muse – 50's & 60’s pulp comics. He began by looking at standard advertising icons but the big impact came with the use of the hard black lines and screened/blocked colours of the early sixties work. Work as I say that cannot be of any other time – which is not true for other artists, of course you can see Holbien painting Tudor scenes but he was capturing real life – Vermeer was the same he was painting the day he was in as today, there is no sense of capturing not just a moment in time but that time being defined by a culture that there is with Lichtenstein.

And perhaps I go too far – I do remember Lichtenstein was a big influence for me and some of my best school work was a homage to Lichtenstein I do remember Drowning Girl and Girl with hair ribbon very well – it made me understand the importance of line and getting that line right…. Its not just blowing up a comic frame!


Posted by Tony at 06:52 PM | Feedback (2)
An Evening In Central Park
Not the Central Park, but Central Park restaurant and Motel. No, no, I wasn't at a Motel last night, but a comedy show. How did comedy get into the picture? Well, let me explain. Nicole (Interviews Oct. 2003) met a comedian who was appearing locally, so we showed up to check out the show.

When I first arrived at Central Park, I found a tiny restaurant and rows and rows of motel rooms. I waited for a couple of minutes before Nicole and Jeanna appeared. Finally, I saw them approaching.

"Jeez, if you wanted to get me too a motel, all you had to do was ask!" I bemoaned.

After we picked seats that were far enough away from the stage, we decided we were safe from being singled out by the comedians. Mike, Nicole's friend, came over and joined us. Mike, a very pleasant, friendly guy, explained that his full time gig was a fireman in South Jersey. We picked his brain about what that was like, and he good-naturedly fielded our questions.

During the show, and thanks to Mike’s tip off about her career, Jeanna caught one of the comedian’s attention. This was exactly what she didn't want. He set her up, asking if her hair was naturally blonde, then hit her with that old line, “does the carpet match the drapes”. Jeanna was hysterical, shining in the momentary spotlight.


Small stage, big dreams


The show was very humorous; the room was filled with good natured folks that were there to laugh. I had another kind of performance happening right in front of me at another table. This woman was talking back at the comedians, repeating their lines and in general, being an unpleasant distraction. She was very unruly and very drunk. With what appeared to be her husband and friends, I noticed her husband sitting there stone faced, mortified at his wife’s loud-mouthed running commentary. One comedian heckled her, but all refused to grant her the stage. Her husband was thumping her arm every two minutes, beseeching her to quiet down. I wondered how early in the day she started drinking. Did he have to get the kids their dinner and baths before they left the house this evening? She finally gave one and all a break and headed in the direction of the ladies room. Twenty minutes later she still had not returned. Her husband sat stone faced, never looking around. Unexpectedly, I notice her staggering from the ladies room, propping herself up at the bar. One of the companions from her table headed to the bar for a refill. She draped herself all over him; he looked uncomfortable, but bought her a drink. Then she started blabbing to the bar tender. He did his best to ignore her, but she wouldn't have it. Suddenly, I see her hanging all over him. Still the husband never turned his head. I was waiting for him to snag her. A young bartender finally approached the man and indicated he should come to the bar and rescue everyone from her. He was angry but begrudgingly walked over to collect her. She wouldn't move and I was waiting for the blowup. I guess he has the routine down because he stood there with her keeping the peace.

After the show we chatted with some of the comedians. It was great for me to see people performing and doing what they love, even if they have to maintain a regular job at same time. In the ladies room, a woman told me she loved my hair. I told her that my stylist was right here, pointing to a stall. As she was coming out of the stall, Jeanna’s skills were solicited and she explained that she is management and only does family and close friends. Nicole really hooked us up with a great evening. Good friends, new friends, a tacky motel and a lot of laughs. So, what did you do with your Saturday night?

Posted by Liz at 12:17 PM | Feedback (4)
February 20, 2004
Never seen in the same room….


Is it me?

Can I be the only person who thinks this way?

I was looking at the image of the American chanteuse with the rather butch physique and total inability to comprehend the meaning of the word style alongside a photo of English transsexual and ubermensch of Comedy Eddie Izzard the other day, as is my wont, and I could not help but notice they are remarkably similar.

Separated at birth? Or perhaps something more sinister... You never see them both in the same room after all…

Of course you know Eddie Izzard – he has all these video clips for you to see.

And he sings better than Pink.


Posted by Tony at 07:53 PM | Feedback (3)
February 19, 2004
Blogger Nicole Has The Hookup
My buddy Nicole from Aussie has posted this guy's site looking for women to have 17 children for him. (Check out her comment section where I do my own FBI profile!) I thought the Green River killer, Gary Ridgway was fritghtening, but you have to check out this dood! Make sure you check out his picture section, thats really scary.Thanks Nicole, I just thought this was worth repeating! Hehe.

Posted by Liz at 11:42 AM | Feedback (8)
February 17, 2004
Flurries Tonight

Anthony Orazio

The Squirrels and I are ready for Spring.

Posted by Liz at 10:33 AM | Feedback (1)
February 16, 2004
I'm Rich Bitch!
Now that my "must see TV" is coming to an end with the demise of Sex and the City (sniff,sniff), I have found some new must see TV. First off, is Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central. If you haven't seen it check it out, Dave is a riot on the most hysterical level. Another bit of MTV programming I admit to watching,in a hidden, shame based way is Till Death Do Us Part: Carmen & Dave. My friend Sharon told me she dislikes Carmen Electra and can't stomach even one episode. But I can't resist a recovering herion addict (Dave Navarro) and his new B list wifey, Carmen Electra (not her real name, but everyone seems to call her Carmen). Dysfunction at its finest, as they, "I love you baby, you're so hot", each other to death. I'm giving the whole marriage three years at the most, but they seem like nice enough people. If you watch either show, call me, we'll talk.



Pre martial bliss with Carmen and Dave and Dave Chappelle's serious look


Posted by Liz at 11:51 PM | Feedback (0)
February 14, 2004
Love Defined
"Sometimes, love isn't something you find, but something you build -- a process you work on, not a package you encounter." ~ Howard Rheingold


I do believe Mr. Rheingold has hit the nail on the head.





Posted by Liz at 11:22 PM | Feedback (5)
Feelin' The Love
I received a wonderfully encouraging email today. It was a response to an email I sent out a week ago, asking for some advice. Not long ago, I found a really cool site created by Shannon, called Urban Bumpkin (cute huh!). Amazingly, Shannon was actually doing something I want to do; she sells handcrafted gifts and accessories. I contacted this talented individual and asked her what the reality is of selling goods online; does she make her living this way? Shannon responded with a generous spirit and plenty of support. Thank you Shannon. You are a role model for me. I aspire to earn my living creatively, through my writing and art. Don’t be surprised if you hear from me again, too snag you for an interview. Thanks for the luv!


The following is the super sweet email I recieved from Shannon.



Hi & thanks for your email!
Wow!!! It's a small world!! I just visited your site and saw the mug
of a close friend...Ian Christy. He and I worked together for a number
of years in the computer gaming world. He's a real pal, so what a kick
to see you've connected with him....rad!
Congratulations on your site--it is very cool-- and your interest in
getting your handmade work out into the world. It's very exciting! I
love the independence that the web has brought to creative people of
all interests and avenues.
For me, my site is one of several creative outlets, income "streams"
you could say. So, the site does well but has also spun off into
custom orders and also retail partnering. I think that is a terrific
option to explore, since the front-end of the marketing is already
there through the shop/boutique/etc. But I also pad my income with
graphic design work (which I've done for over 10 years) and creative
writing. So, my approach has been to diversify.
Definitely I would suggest checking into retail possibilities. I make
sure that everything I sell retail has my logo and web addy on it, so
even if a shop is only interested in my yarnwork, the customer can also
see my jewelry and illustration work. Also, have you thought of
selling your journalism/interview work for the site to other art
related publications?
Thanks so much for taking the time to check out my site, and for your
kind feedback :) I love making connections with other creative folks!
All the best to you!
-Shannon

Posted by Liz at 09:32 PM | Feedback (1)
February 13, 2004
Emon Xie Rises Again
One of the nice things about interviewing an artist is the great drawings he drops in the mail to you. I received drawings today from Ian Christy. A keyboarding playing cherub, an artist with a monkey on his back, and a gorilla looking Madonna (which I found to be rather accurate). Thankyou e, I loved the drawings and the button! I'm now in the process of coming up with the best way to display my new art.



artist Ian Christy

Posted by Liz at 12:42 PM | Feedback (0)
February 12, 2004
Confused About What 2 Get Me?
As Valentine's Day approaches, I want to spare my many suitors the dilemma of what to get me. Well, I think I would love this bag in pink! Adorable huh? I thought so. Thankyou in advance.


Posted by Liz at 08:48 PM | Feedback (1)
February 11, 2004
Rosa Parks Was Fired
While watching a very good documentary, I learned that Rosa Parks was fired from her job one week after starting the bus boycott, which lead to the civil rights movement in the US. Miss Parks refused to give up her seat to a white man and paid a heavy price for her stance. The employer gave the reason as being they just weren't busy enough, but it was one week after Christmas, their busiest season.

Posted by Liz at 11:21 AM | Feedback (6)
February 10, 2004
Sean Sighting
I'm always on the look out for Sean Lennon. I would love to see him live, in concert. One of my favorite CD's is Into the Sun. If you haven't heard it, check it out. I didn't watch the Grammy's, but apparently Sean was there, alive and well, and looking rather dapper. If anyone has any addictional information on where he is performing his music these days, let me know!


Sean Lennon 2004

Posted by Liz at 08:16 AM | Feedback (2)
February 09, 2004
QUOTE OF THE DAY

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week."
--Evan Esar

Posted by Liz at 01:33 PM | Feedback (2)
February 04, 2004
The Breast That Flopped
I did not see the Super bowl; I chose to be amused instead, so I rented movies. Over and over the news media is rehashing the Janet Jackson Justin Timberlake half time stunt. Was it planned and should the FCC press charges? Did Janet fool poor unsuspecting Justin into becoming an unwilling participant? The debate rages on.

I believe the responsibility of the half time show lies squarely on CBS and the people who put together the half time entertainment. Rap superstar Nelly performed as well as Justin and Janet, two of the hottest pop acts out there. Who exactly did the network think they were hiring? MTV specializes in shock television, as far back as when Madonna rolled all over the stage with her virginal bridal gown hiked up around her neck. Can you top this? That’s the formula. Whether you think it’s obscene or not, that’s simply the genre of pop culture today. When you hire pop stars its safe to say you can expect, tattooed men in baggy clothes. The woman are thin, young & sporting the ever present thong. They sport fake round breasts barely contained, spilling out all over, leaving little to the imagination. This is MTV today in the 21st century. Hire them, fire them, it’s your choice, but how about watching some of their programming to get an idea of what you’re hiring as “family” entertainment on network television.

I guess the thing that gives me pause more than a semi bare breast, (she had metal pasties on) is the idea of a man ripping the top off of a woman. We wonder why some young men don't understand the word no. We speculate why numbers of young men consider young ladies "teases" until this notion evolves into a central loathing of all women. Aside from the peep show, TiVo saved giggles, who benefits from such a portrayal? What would have been wrong with Justin appearing to adore Janet for her beauty and talent on stage? Maybe he could have hit his knees to belt out the last line of the song? But to rip her top halfway off is insensitive towards many members of the audience, who may have been through a real experience of violation.

I suspect next years show will be more of the same. There seems to be a broken down logic in place, regarding the portrayal of sexuality in both men and woman. If I were booking the halftime Super bowl show for next year, I might be checking now to see if, oh say, Harry Connick Jr. is available.


Posted by Liz at 11:18 PM | Feedback (4)
Face By Jessica


My 4 year old niece, Jessica and I were watching my collection of Bjork videos. Jessica became inspired and decided to do my makeup. How could I resist? I had to let her. I can't stifle the child's creativity, besides, at one time, I did people's faces for a living and sold cosmetics, so I understand the love of painting faces. We played, we had fun, I loved it.


The artist, Jessica, and her muse, Aunt Liz. hehe

Posted by Liz at 02:36 PM | Feedback (3)
February 02, 2004
Voting, Mother Teresa and Me
As you know, I love a good quiz, so here is an interesting one for you. Who should you vote for in 2004?

Check out who I should vote for according to my views....

1. Kucinich Score: 100%

2. Kerry Score: 98%

3. Sharpton Score: 93%

4. Clark Score: 87%

5. Dean Score: 87%

6. Edwards Score: 86%

7. Lieberman Score: 75%

Finally, some accuracy in a personality quiz.....



What Famous Leader Are You?



Posted by Liz at 11:30 PM | Feedback (6)
February 01, 2004
Connections
A few nights ago, before illness set in, I was talking to Camilo on the phone, or should I say listening to his smoldering Columbian accent.




Now available! My recent interview with Mark Meadows of Boar.com. Mark was in Iraq on the second day of the war. He is a writer and artist and plans to hit the road again, as soon as possible.

It was an enjoyable, lengthy talk. We were long over due. We talk about everything from careers to racism, to politics, to relationships. He is one of the brilliant people I have found on the web. When I stop and think about it, I’m astonished at not only how many people but at whom I have managed to connect with. I’ve consistently been online for about 4 years now, with associations from all over the world. Connections that I would have never been able to make otherwise.

A long time ago, I read that the people whose path we cross in life are there for a reason. The reason is to be of service to them and learn something about ourselves. When I read that, I realized I had felt that influence in many instances. An unexpected characteristic of all of this is the people online tend to be like the people in my everyday life. Similar issues, likes and dislikes. What’s ironic is you are drawn to the same type of person, sometimes sight unseen, and they are drawn to you. “Where ever you go you take you there.” Apparently the internet is no exception, as I move forward and transform, so do my online associations.

Since I’ve started writing, and that continues to evolve, I have reached out to many people. Anywhere from artists to political prisoners to rock stars. The net allows me to not only research people, places and things, but take it one step further. I don’t have to acquire the funds to jump on a plane, I don’t have to hire a private detective or take up stalking, I can politely and socially acceptably, email. Several have, thankfully, chosen to reply and have been very gracious and some, I have even had the opportunity to meet in person. I have a philosophy neatly in place and it works for me. That simple notion is, whatever is meant to be, will be. When a person is doing something I’m into, we might become friends or I ask to interview them. That’s been an amazing process, harder than I thought it would be, but entirely rewarding. For the time being, I want to keep connecting and discovering where I’m being lead, still learning life’s lessons.

Posted by Liz at 05:05 PM | Feedback (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment